‘What do we want from our Schools? Building a Charter for Education’
Tuesday 21 October 2014
7.30pm, Harmony Hall, Truro Road, Walthamstow
- Melissa Benn, education writer and author of School Wars: the battle for Britain's Education)
- John Cryer MP for Leyton and Wanstead
- Jenny Smith, Headteacher, Frederick Bremer School, stars of ‘Educating the East End’
- Kevin Courtney, Deputy General Secretary, National Union of Teachers
We believe that it’s time to start a discussion about how we build a new, positive and progressive vision for our education system.
We’re delighted to have a stellar line up of speakers to start that debate at our public meeting, including education expert and writer Melissa Benn, Kevin Courtney, the Deputy General Secretary of the NUT, John Cryer, local MP for Leyton and Wanstead and Jenny Smith, headteacher of our own Frederick Bremer School, currently starring in ‘Educating the East End’.
We'll be asking:
- How should we measure success in schools?
- Are our kids being ‘measured’ and tested too much?
- How should schools be run?
- Who should our schools be accountable to?
- How do we ensure that all kids get the same chances?
- Should we, as parents, be more involved in our schools?
Come and join the discussion. Help us to shape a Charter for education in our borough.